Coriander seeds- 2 tablespoon
Fennel seeds- 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds- 1 tablespoon
Red chillies- 2 to 3
Clove- 4 to 5 pieces
Cinnamon- 1 inch
Star anise- 1 piece
Dry coconut- 4 small pieces
Black pepper- 1/2 tablespoon
Bay leaf- 1 leaf
Nutmeg- 1/2 peice
Sesame seeds- 1/2 tablespoon (optional, I have skipped it)
Red chilli powder- 1/2 tablespoon
Turmeric powder-1/2 tablespoon
Salt- 1/2 tablespoon
Sugar- 1/2 tablespoon
Potatoes- 5 to 6 (medium sized boiled and mashed)
Tamarind chutney (sweet) -2 tablespoons
Dabeli masala- 2 tablespoons
Water-4 to 5 tablespoons
Dabeli assembling Ingredients:
Pav- 4 pieces
Coriander leaves- 2 tablespoon (finely chopped)
Sev- 1/2 cup
Peanuts (salted) – 1/4 cup
Onion- 1/4 cup
Coconut- 2 tablespoon (finely sliced)
Sweet tamarind chutney- 4 tablespoon
Green chutney- 4 tablespoon
Dabeli stuffing- 8 tablespoon
Oil- as per requirements
Step by step recipe with images
1) Firstly arrange all masalas in a plate which makes it convenient to cook.
2) Firstly without turning on the flame, add 2 tablespoon of coriander seeds in a pan.
3) Add 1 tablespoon fennel seed in it .
4) Add 1 tablespoon cumin seed in it.
5) Add half tablespoon black pepper in it.
6) Add 4 to 5 cloves in it.
7) Add an inch of cinnamon in it.
8) Add half nutmeg in it.
9) Add a piece of star anise in it.
10) Add 2 red chillies in it.
11) Add a bay leaf in it.
12) Lastly add dry coconut pieces in it.
13) After adding all the masalas, turn on the flame. Heat them on low flame.
14) Roast them for 2 to 3 minutes on low flame until they turn aromatic.
15) Once they cool down, transfer them to a mixer jar.
16) Add 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder in it.
17) Add 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder in it.
18) Add 1/2 tablespoon salt in it.
19) Add 1/2 tablespoon sugar in it.
20) Blend them well into a smooth powder.
21) Your dabeli masala is ready.
1) Firstly boil and mash 5 to 6 medium sized potatoes.
2) Now take a mixing bowl and add 2 tablespoons dabeli masala in it.
3) Add 2 tablespoons sweet tamarind chutney in it.
4) Add 4 tablespoons of water in it.
5) Mix them well.
6) Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil.
7) Add the prepared slurry in it.
8) Bring it to boil.
9) Now add the boiled and mashed potatoes in it.
10) Stir and mix them well.Cook it on medium high flame for 2 minutes.
11) Add 2 tablespoons of water in it.
12) Cook them for another 2 to 3 minutes until it turns mushy.
13) Once done, your dabeli stuffing is ready.
1) Firstly transfer the dabeli stuffing in a plate.
2) Pat and spread them evenly on the plate.
3) Now spread some coconut slices on it.
4) Sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves on it.
5) Sprinkle some pomegranate on top.
6) Add salted peanuts on it.
7) Finally sprinkle some sev on top.
8) Your dabeli stuffing is ready.
9) Now take a bun or pav.
10) Slit them from the middle. Make sure they don’t break into two slices.
11) Apply sweet tamarind chutney on one slice.
12) Apply green chutney on the other slice.
13) Now stuff the bun with 2 tablespoon of dabeli stuffing.
14) Top them with some onions.
15) Now close the bun by joining the sides together.
16) Roll them over some sev.
17) Now heat a pan with oil.
18) Toast the dabeli from all sides on by one.
19) Brush some oil on the other sides.
20)Flip it on the other sides until done.
21) Once done, garnish them With coriander leaves, coconut and pomegranate. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks
1) Turn on the flame only after adding all the masalas in the pan. The flame must be turned off beforehand.
2) Don’t over roast the masala.
3) Blend the masala into fine powder.
4) The ratio of 1:1 is perfect for making the slurry.
5) Make sure the potatoes are soft and mushy. Don’t overcook them.
6) Slit the bun patiently so that it does not break into two. Just slit them from the middle.
7) Assemble and stuff them properly.
8) Toast them from all sides on medium high flame.
9) You can store the dabeli masala for 3 months in an airtight container.
1) You can use Multigrain bun instead of white bun.
2) You can add less potato stuffing and more of the other Ingredients.
3) You can air fry the dabeli