Gobhi manchurian is an Indo Chinese cuisine. It is simply a process of transforming your boring cauliflower by giving it a Chinese twist. It can be served as a perfect sizzler or can be simply enjoyed with chapatis. My siblings and cousins generally enjoy it along with yellow dal and chapatis, making it a perfect meal option for punjabi households particularly.
This yummy spicy recipe is made by boiling cauliflower and then marinating and frying it until crisp. Further it is tossed in a seasoned sauce along with capsicum and onions giving it an authentic Chinese twist. This recipe is a must try for those who are bored of eating cauliflower cause after this cauliflower will never sound that boring again. So please go ahead and try this yummy recipe of ours and please don’t forget to share your reviews in the comments section below.
Cauliflower – 2 medium sized
Salt- as per taste
Soy sauce- 2 tablespoon
Tomato ketchup- 4 tablespoon
Ginger- 1 inch
Garlic- 10 cloves
Green chillies- 2 to 3 (slit)
Onion- 1 (medium sized)
Capsicum- 1 (medium sized)
Red chilli sauce- 1 tablespoon
Sugar- 1/2 tablespoon
Vinegar- 1 tablespoon
Cornflour- 1 tablespoon
Refined flour- 1/4 cup
Black pepper- 1 teaspoon
Step by step recipe with images
1) Firstly slice the cauliflower into small pieces as shown above.
2)heat a pan with 3 cups of water.
3) Add a teaspoon of salt in it.
4) Now add the chopped cauliflower in it.
5) Boil them on medium high flame for 3 to 4 minutes until 50% done.
6) Now drain them off with the help of a strainer.
7) Now take a mixing bowl and add the boiled cauliflower in it.
8) Once it cools down, add a tablespoon of chopped ginger and garlic in it.
9) Add a tablespoon of soy sauce in it.
10) Add 2 tablespoon of tomato ketchup in it.
11) Add salt as per taste. (Remember you have added some salt while boiling too so adjust it accordingly)
12) Now give them a good mix.
13) Now add 1/4 cup of refined flour in it.
14) Coat them well with the refined flour.
15) Now heat a pan with oil.
16) Once done, add the marinated cauliflower in the hot oil one by one.
17) Cook them on medium high flame for two minutes.
18) Flip it on the other side and cook them for another minute or two until it turns golden brown and crisp.
19) Drain them well.
20) Keep them aside for later.
21) Now heat a pan with 2 tablespoon of oil.
22) Add finely chopped ginger, garlic in it.
23) Add 2 to 3 slit chillies in it.
24) Once it turns golden brown, add diced onions in it.
25) Now add the diced capsicum in it.
26) Saute them well for a minute.
27) Add a tablespoon of vinegar in it.
28) Add 1/2 tablespoon of sugar in it.
29) Add salt as per taste.
30) Stir and mix them well.
31) Now add 1 tablespoon soy sauce in it.
32) Add 2 tablespoon of tomato ketchup in it.
33) Add a tablespoon of red chilli sauce in it.
34) Stir them well.
35) Now add the cornflour slurry in it. (Mix 1 tablespoon cornflour in 1/4th cup of water to form a slurry.
36)Stir and Cook them on 2 minutes on military heat.
37) The sauce will turn glossy once it thickens enough.
38) Now add the fried cauliflower in it.
39) Toss them well until it gets coated properly.
40) Now add 1 teaspoon of black pepper in it.
41) Give them a good stir and turn off the flame.
42)your yummy sizzler is ready. Enjoy them with fried rice or chapatis
Tips and Tricks
1) Don’t over boil the cauliflower pieces.
1) If you want to make a healthier version of it, opt for shallow frying it in 4 to 5 teaspoon of oil instead of deep frying it. It may take a bit longer but will turn healthier.
- Cauliflower- 2 medium sized
- Refined flour- 1 cup
- Garlic- 12 to 14 cloves
- Ginger- 2 inches
- Green chillies- 6 to 7 (Or as per taste)
- Soy sauce- 3 tablespoon
- Tomato ketchup- 6 tablespoon
- Vinegar- 2 tablespoon
- Refined oil- as per requirements
- Sugar- 1 tablespoon
- Capsicum- 1 medium sized
- Onion- 1 medium sized
- Black pepper- 2 tablespoon
- Cornflour- 1 tablespoon
- Spring onions- 2 tablespoon
- Salt -as per taste
- Firstly wash and chop the cauliflower into dice sized pieces. Make sure the cauliflower is neither too small nor too big. Pieces should be evenly chopped.
- Now heat a pan with 4 cups of water on high flame.
- Now slowly add the diced cauliflower in it.
- Add a tablespoon of salt to it.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Once it starts boiling turn off the flame. Make sure the cauliflower is 60% cooked. (Don’t overcook as it gets cooked during the process of frying as well)
- Drain them off and keep them aside for later.
- Now take a bowl and add 1 cup of refined flour in it.
- Take 5 to 6 cloves of garlic, an inch of ginger and 2 to 3 green chillies. Crush them well.
- Add the crushed ginger, garlic and chilli to the refined flour.
- Add 1 tablespoon of tomatoe ketchup to it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of soya sauce to it.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Add 1 small tablespoon of black pepper in it.
- Finally add 1/3 cup of water to it.
- Mix it well to get a thick consistency.
- Now add the boiled cauliflower in it.
- Coat them well using a spatula or simply by using your hands. Rest it for 10 minutes.
- Now heat a pan and add 3 cups of refined flour in it.
- Add a pinch of dough to see if the oil is ready for frying or not.
- If the dough comes up then the oil is perfectly ready.
- Now slowly add the coated cauliflowers in the oil with your hands.
- Fry it for 2 to 3 minutes until it turn golden brown now turn it on the other side.
- Fry it for 2 minutes until it turns golden brown on the other side as well. Now drain it well with the help of a spatula.
- Repeat it same with the remaining batches. Keep it aside for later.
- Finely dice the onions and capsicum. Finely chop the ginger garlic and green chillies.
- Now take another pan and add 2 tablespoon of refined oil in it.
- Keep the flame at medium high and slowly add the finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies to it.
- Now add the diced onions and capsicum to it and saute it for a minute.
- Now add 1 tablespoon vinegar to it and stir well.
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar in it and stir well.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Add 4 tablespoon tomato ketchup in it.
- Add one tablespoon soy sauce in it.
- Stir it well for a minute..
- Take a bowl and add 1 tablespoon cornflour in it . Add half cup water in it and mix well into a slurry.
- Finally add the cornflour slurry in it.
- Cook it well until it turns glossy and thick.
- Now add the fried cauliflowers to it.
- Stir them well.
- Finally add 1 tablespoon black pepper to it.
- Garnish it with spring onions and serve hot.
- Finally your gobhi manchurian is ready. Enjoy it as a sizzler or along with soft Chapatis.